Linux Vs Windows - Why Linux Is Better For Programming & Web Dev
Linux is a kind-of-descendent of Unix, which means it is similar to other Unix-based system.
Linux Vs Windows ⚔️ Feature Comparison
Let's compare the features of Linux and Windows OS.
🧡 Open Source
Unlike Windows OS which is commercial, Linux is an open source software that is freely available to download. There are hundreds of Linux distributions available out of which almost five-hundred distro are in active development. One of the most popular desktop Linux distributions is Ubuntu. I am currently using it.
Linux is considered to be more secure than Windows. No antivirus is needed. Since it is open source, several developers are working on it and everyone can contribute code. It is likely that someone will find a vulnerability long before hackers can target a Linux distro.
🚀 Faster Software Updates
You will get faster software updates. If the bugs are found by someone, the users get updates immediately, they don't have to wait for long. Development tools and libraries are available for free.
Linux is more powerful and versatile than Windows. It is light-weight, which makes Linux faster than Windows. You will notice a significant improvement in speed on a Linux distro when you start working on this OS.
👨💻 Programming Friendly
As I said in the beginning of this article, a Linux distro is the best OS for a budding programmer to start with. Developers ❤ Linux. Let's see some key features of Linux
- Linux supports almost all of the programming languages such as Clojure, Python, Julia, Ruby, C, and C++ to name a few.
- The Linux terminal is better than Window’s command line. If you want to learn command line basics quick and super fast, you will find this course helpful. Here is a comprehensive guide to learn Linux command line for beginners. You can also use this guide to learn command line for iOS and Linux.
- Bash scripting - Bash is extremely useful for developers and it is available by default on Linux. Learn how to create and use bash scripts. Here is a cheat sheet on bash scripting.
- Linux has inbuilt support for SSH. With this, you can easily manage your servers. Learn how to use SSH using this Digital Ocean guide.
- You can easily customize and personalize your Linux distribution.
- It also supports several efficient tools for developers that makes the life of developers a lot easier.
💯 Great Community Support
Since hundreds of Linux distros are in active development and they are open source, the community is big. All newcomers can find help on any of the Linux forums. If you are stuck somewhere in your development process or need help in your coding process, just Google it. You can find several Linux based helpful resources.
⏳ How to install and use a Linux distro
There are many ways to install and use. A few ways to install Ubuntu (a popular Linux distro):
- You can use Windows Subsystem For Linux. I recommend this tool for newbies in tech. I have been using this method for quite some time now, and I am extremeley satsified
- You can download Ubuntu and freshly install on your system. Also, google it and you will find several free resources on how to install this OS.
- Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 dual boot
- Install Ubuntu on Windows 10 using Virtual Box
💡 What's Next
If you are a newbie in tech and a Windows user and want to try out Ubuntu, you might feel a bit uncomfortable while using it. Even a simple task that you used to perform with ease in Windows might be a headache for you in Linux.
I have written a blog post about the problems Windows users might face while using Linux for the first time. Read the post and use this tool to fix the problem.
Windows and Linux logos taken from SimpleIcons
Emojis taken from Emojipedia
Cover image built with BlogCover